Thursday 19 November 2015

Bokbier 2015 (part four)

Some more of this season's Dutch Boks.


Scheldebrouwerij Wildebok
Smells quite nice. And has the right basic flaour profile for a Bok: bit of caramel sweetness, balanced by bitterness from either malt or hops. But there's a nastines in the middle: over-boiled cabbage. Makes it pretty tough to drink. I can't finish it.


Bronckhorster Ijsselbock
Looks Lovely: dark brown body and cream-coloured head. Accentuated by the beer being pretty fizzy. Hang on while I knock out most of the condition with my twizzling stick . . . . . 

. . . . . . .

. . . . . . .

. . . . . . .

That took a while.  Still not quite finished . . . . . . Must have double the CO2 of Duvel. Was it worth the elbow grease? Not really. Another cabbagey one. Worse than the last one. Bitter in a bad way.


Het Uiltje Bosuil
Not a Bok, but a black IPA from a hot new Dutch brewery. Smells very nice, all that fruit salad stuff. Pretty much the same in the mouth, put sort of sour, too. Is that just from all the hops? I'm fucked if I know. Probably just an illusion. Pretty bitter, in a pleasant enough way. I'll finsh this one.

1 comment:

A Brew Rat said...

I have got that cabbagey flavor in my homebrewed bocks in the past from using large proportions of dark Munich malt. I have quit using dark Munich malt for that reason.