Saturday 25 April 2009

Scotch Ale in the 1920's and 1930's

Whereas the massively strong Edinburgh Ales that brought fame to Scottish brewing in the 19th century had been pale beers, brewed from 100% pale malt, by the 1920's they had become dark and had a more modest gravity.

"Scotch Ale. A brown beer rather resembling Burton. In the London pubs the term almost invariably stands for Youngers Scotch Ale, in bottle or on draught, which is a genuine Scottish brew. As this is a very popular drink it is often found in free houses, where it usually replaces a Burton, though there are a few pubs that sell both. Younger's Scotch Ale is their No.3. Their No.1 is a really strong brew."
"The Younger Centuries", by David Keir, 1951, page 88.

So that explains what No.3 was: a Burton-like Strong Ale. I drank the stuff many times and always wondered what the hell type of beer it was. I seem to remember it occasionally being called a "dark Bitter", whatever that means.

Here are some details of Younger's Scotch Ales:


That's me about done with Scotch Ale. For the time being, at least. I wonder what will attract my attention next?

6 comments:

Ed said...

Interesting change in attenuation. I wonder if their yeast strain had changed.

Anonymous said...

With the sad demise of Younger's No 3, the only remaining beers in this style are McEwan's Champion, a fine bottled beer available in many UK supermarkets, and brews such as Gordon's Scotch Ale, sold in Belgium.

Fatman said...

I used to drink Number 3 in the Union Bar, many years ago. Stewart Brewing Co in Edinburgh are doing a Number 3 now and I had a pint the other week - brought back a few memories.

Chap said...

In London in the late 1960s and early 1970s, you could get Younger's No. 3 at a bar by the most westerly platform on Kings Cross station. Most of the drinkers in there were station staff. It was an excellent way to begin a journey North.

Ron Pattinson said...

Fatman, good to know No.3 is still alive, even if only in a small way. It was easily my favourite S & N beer.

Ron Pattinson said...

Zythophile, I quite like Younger's Champion. I usually pick up a couple of bottles at the Tesco's opposite Liverpool Street Station before I get on the train to Stanstead. Has there ever been a cask version?