Wednesday 9 April 2008

In praise of gravity-served lager

Stonch has brought this subject up before. The difference between lager served by gravity and that dispensed by CO2 top pressure.

As someone who was indoctrinated by CAMRA whils still a teenager, I've always believed straight from the cask is better. Even ignoring my prejudices, it looks great and seems more natural. Last night I had confirmation that the beer tastes better, too.

Wildeman has excelled itself again for German Week. I was wiping the drool off my shirt after looking at the draught list. Some of Franconia's finest. Including two of my favourites: Schlenkerla Fastenbier and Hummel-bräu Räucherator. Not to everyone's taste, I know, but I love smoky-bacon flavour beer. I started with a couple of Fastenbiers and then moved on to Räucherator. But only for one. It was such a disappointment. Fastenbier first was a big mistake.

Why? Usually working upwards in strength is the right progression. Not yesterday. The Fastenbier, you see, was in a cask on the bar. The Räucherator was keg. Everything about the Fastenbier was better - flavour, aroma, cabonation, head, temperature, texture. Everything.

An object lession in the superiority of gravity dispense.

12 comments:

Stonch said...

We had the Raucherator at the Football Pub in Roma a last month. To be honest, it was pretty nasty. I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed it even on gravity dispense!

Now - for those interested in trying German beers dispensed as Ron describes who also live in London - see here.

Kristen England said...

The wifey and I were just in Munich and spent a lot of time in the Ayinger 'brewery' restaurant (directly across from Hofbrauhaus). They had a special beer each Thursday that was served after 5pm 'vom faß' (gravity) until it was gone. When we were there they were serving a special 'lenten' or easter beer. The wife took about 20 pictures of the chalkboard and all were fuzzy. Man, this was good. The next day we went back and had the Jahrhundert on 'cask' and it really was that much better. Its hard to say it wasn't just b/c I was in München but it wasn't. I had the wife order the 'CO2' version and the cask was that much better.

Ron Pattinson said...

Kristen, I really like that Ayinger pub - much better than the Hofbräuhaus. Comapared side by side the cask version is alkways going to win,

Ron Pattinson said...

Stonch, I've really enjoyed bottled Räucherator when I've had it.

Erlangernick said...

Can't agree more on both the quality of this year's Fastenbier--from wood cask at the Brauereigaststätte in Bamberg anyway--and the general principle of "Real Lager", uncarbonated, poured under gravity.

Hope you have fun on the trip. Would like to hook up with and meet you lot; I'd bring a couple of surprises along.

Erlangernick said...

Whoops, forgot to note that I think I've only had Räucherator in der Flasche, and have always been quite impressed.

Stonch said...

Maybe my conversion to being a pils drinker is complete and I no longer appreciate harder stuff!

Anonymous said...

Two different beers served through different lines and no replication? Hardly an object lesson! Where's the scientific method, ron?

PS love ya blog.

Anonymous said...

Scientific method? We don't need no steenkin' scientific method ...

Anonymous said...

One needs must remember the joy 'replication' can bring. All in the name of science!

Nicolino said...

Sometimes, when I dream, I call Wildeman my local...

Nicolino said...

Sometimes, when I dream, I call Wildeman my local...