Tuesday 18 March 2008

Do you recognise this man?

You may recall me mentioning Lew Bryson being under the impression that we had met at the ZBF. At the time of our supposed meeting I was already sitting on a number 2 tram speeding homewards from Amsterdam Central Station.

Who the hell was claiming to be me? Luckily, Lew has sent me a photo of the putative Pattinson. Does anyone recognise him? (He's the one on the left - the other chap is Stephen Beaumont.)


Just for the record, I'm clean-shaven, don't wear glasses and have a full head of hair. And a tendency to rattle off facts from old brewing manuals at the slightest excuse. Without any ant excuse, too. The last few weeks I've been incapable of speaking two sentences without mentioning Danziger Joppenbier.

Obsessing about extinct beer styles is how you're going to have to recognise me. I'm not about to add any images of myself to either this blog or my website. I respect the memory of Stalin too much to do that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that Marcus of Luxembourg?

Anonymous said...

You got me.

Anonymous said...

Ron, when you next have a chance to meet Lew, you're going to have to pass yourself off as Marcus from Luxembourg, right? Might as well play this one through to the end.

The Beer Nut said...

"I'm Ron Pattinson!"
"No, I'm Ron Pattinson!"
"No, I'm Ron Pattinson!"

"I'm Ron Pattinson and so's my wife."

Anonymous said...

It IS Marcus of Luxembourg, and the whole thing was the result of a great big misunderstanding. I've now cleared things up with Lew.

BTW, Ron, we tried your porter with Tim Webb. It was very nice, but for some reason I expected it to be fuller-bodied. Then again, perhaps if by now I had already read all of your porter studies, as intended and resolved, I wouldn't have been surprised.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and it's Stephen with a 'ph' if you don't mind...

Ron Pattinson said...

Stephen, I'm glad all confusion has been resolved.

London Porter usually seems to have had quite a low FG - a little under quarter gravity. Which might explain the relatively light body. Older, all-malt recipes probably have more body.

Sorry about the spelling mistake. It's been corrected.

Bill said...

Ok, so who is Marcus of Luxembourg? I mean, other than the guy in the photo who's not Stephen Beaumont?