Saturday 22 March 2008

Breihan (or Broyhan)

I've finished with Berliner Weisse for the time being. Now it's the turn of Breihan. A beer with more different spellings than even Koyt.

I have plenty of obsessions. If you need one, I'm sure I could spare a few. They're clogging up the spare bedroom something rotten. I do use my Breihan obsession every now and again, so that has to stay. I take it down from the the shelf, dust it off and look at it. Time to finally use it.

Never heard of Breihan? Not surprising. No-one has. Yet it was the most popular style in Northern Germany for around 300 years. Sometime towards the end of the 19th century it disappeared without trace. Or almost did. Because there is a style still around today that was developped from it: Berliner Weisse.

It couldn't have disappeared at a worse time. Just before German brewing literature took off. So there's barely a mention of Breihan in any of my old manuals. It's very frustrating. I do have the odd chemical analysis, which is, I suppose, better than nothing.

In typical North German style, Breihan wasn't a particularly intoxicating drink. Just 1 to 3% ABV.

Breihan, Broyhan, Broyhahn, Broihan, Breyhan, Breihahn, Breuhahn, Broihahn. These are just some of the spellings.

I think that's about enough for today. Tomorrow, I'll share with you the only description of how to brew Breihan I've found. Exciting, eh?

No comments: