Sunday 22 July 2007

Barclay's Lager



Who would ever have thought that I would get so interested in British lager? Certainly not me. But that was before Barclay Perkins arrrived to give meaning to my life.

This is the modest way Barclay Perkins themsleves saw thge importance of their lager: "The gift of a great firm to this generation". The art of hype has a long history.

Even more stuff about lager
What follows are a couple of cuttings from Barclay Perkins houuse magazine, The Anchor. I would transcribe it, but I haven't got time. You'll have to make do with reading the scanned text.

Why the rush? I've a visit to Het Ij planned for this afternoon and I want to ensure I get there by opening time at 15:00. I wouldn't want to waste good drinking time typing out stuff for you bunch of layabouts.

Professional sport
Ok, go on then. I've got 20 minutes before I need to leave. Here's an insight into the way coaching of professional sportsmen has changed.


  • "I believe in beer for fast bowlers," declares Mr. A W Carr former captain of England and Notts.
    Mr. Carr gives away a secret - "a secret," he says, "which perhaps Harold Larwood himself does not know; I made it my business to see that he took to beer."
    : "All really fast bowlers need beer to keep them going. You cannot be a great fast bowler on a bottle of ginger pop or a nice glass of cold water."
    "Your fast bowler is in much the same case as your harvester and your navvy; he uses up an immense amount of physical strength in hard, out-of-doors exercise, and he must have something to give him a kick."
    "When I have particularly wanted to get Larwood's tail up in order to get a quick wicket or two for Notts I have seen to it that he has not wanted for beer."


(Harold Larwood was one of England's top bowlers before WW II. He was renowned for having a pint of beer onfield during drinks breaks.)

1 comment:

Stonch said...

It's interesting how the regionals have pretty much all stopped brewing their own lagers (although some brew foreign brands under licence). I understand Fullers used to have a lager called "K2" some years ago, but don't do any lager brewing now. Young's, one of the last hold-outs, dropped their own Pilsner when they merged with Wells.